Beginning in April, new Medicare cards will be mailed to those who receive benefits as a way to help protect your identity. The new cards will no longer have a Social Security number on them and instead have a unique Medicare Number.
Tips you should know about the new cards:
• This process will happen automatically so you will not need to do anything.
• Your new card will be mailed to the address on file with the Social Security Administration. If you need to update your address, Social Security has made it easy by logging in online or calling 1-800-772-1213.
• Your coverage and benefits will not change.
• The cards will be mailed in waves depending on what state you live in.
Tips to avoid being scammed:
• You will not need to pay for your new card.
• Medicare will never ask you for personal information in order to get your new card.
• Although Social Security numbers are removed from the new cards, you still want to protect your card to prevent identity thieves from using it to get medical services.
To learn more, visit Medicare.gov.